Digital Adapter Overview
We only offer HD digital adapters going forward, but current customers may have older, standard digital adapters in their homes.
If you have a combination of an HD digital adapter and an HDTV, you can watch these cable channels:
- HD and standard-definition channels
- Music Choice digital music channels
- Limited access to premium movie channels1
Unfortunately, an HD or standard digital adapter does not provide access to ON Demand and pay-per-view content.
You don’t have to wait for an appointment. You can self-install your Midco digital adapter.
- If you’re a new customer or someone adding a digital adapter to current service, order a mailed, self-install kit.
- If you’re a customer moving services to a new address, just bring all current Midco equipment (cable boxes, modems, power cords and remotes) to your new location.
Note: Not all cable outlets in your home may be active. If you want to use a specific outlet that isn’t working, see our how-to steps and a video on how to activate it.
Here’s how to self-install your Midco HD digital adapter.
Follow the tutorial or instructions to self-install and activate your equipment today.
Required to Start:
- Midco HD digital adapter with two Velcro patches
- Remote with two AA batteries
- Power cord
- Coax cable
- HDMI cable
- Your HD digital adapter serial number (from the bottom of the equipment)
- Your own in-home, personal TV
If you received an HD digital adapter box from Midco, all this equipment should be included as listed above and shown below. If you’ve moved, you’ll need this to get started. If anything is missing, reach out at Midco.com/Contact.
- Connect the coax cable to an active cable wall outlet, and then to the Cable In (RF In) connection on your HD digital adapter. Make sure the connection is finger tight.
- Tip: Not all in-home cable wall outlets may be active. Try multiple outlets if the first one doesn’t work. If the outlet you want to use isn't active, see how to activate it.
- Connect the HDMI cable from your HDMI connection on your HD digital adapter to the HDMI connection on your TV.
- If you don’t have an HDTV, connect a coax cable from the To TV connection on the back of your adapter with the coax/antenna/cable in coax on the back of your TV. Make sure the connection is finger tight.
- If you don’t have an HDTV and you’re connected via coax cable, go to the back of your digital adapter. Flip the HD digital adapter switch to channel 3 or 4. Then, use your original TV remote to change your TV channel to match the back of your digital adapter.
When your digital adapter light blinks in a sequence of two blinks and one pause, it's time to begin activation. If this isn't happening, refer to the Self-Install Troubleshooting section below.
When the light on your HD digital adapter is blinking in a sequence of two blinks and one pause, enter your HD digital adapter serial number below, and select Activate Now.
- Although you may have working channels, your HD digital adapter needs to activate to ensure you receive the correct channels in your cable TV package.
You’ll know that the HD digital adapter is activated when the light on the front of the box is lit solid and no longer blinking.
Complete Equipment Setup
After your HD digital adapter is activated, confirm that a TV picture shows, and that your channel lineup and on-screen guide are loading. This may take up to 15 minutes to begin, and full program information may take one hour to completely load.
Press Guide on your Midco remote to scroll and confirm you’re receiving the channels provided in your cable package.
Program Your Midco Remote
Program your Midco HD digital adapter remote control to your TV. Refer to the user guide provided with your remote, or use our online remote help.
If your HD digital adapter won’t power on, if you don’t have the right channels or if you need other assistance, contact us for help.
Why is my digital adapter’s light still blinking?
Long, continuous blink: The HD digital adapter is in hunt mode and is not ready to be activated. If you tried to activate during hunt mode, the activation will fail. Wait for two short blinks and try again.
Three short blinks: The HD digital adapter is updating. Wait for two short blinks and try again.
Ongoing blinking or no blinking: Your adapter is ready to be activated. Try connecting your digital adapter to a different cable wall outlet. (Not all in-home outlets are active.) Repeat the activation step again each time you try a different cable wall outlet.
- If your HD digital adapter works after connecting to a new outlet, but you’d like to activate a different outlet, contact us.
- If you’ve tried multiple outlets and still can’t connect and activate your equipment, contact us.
Why don’t I have a TV picture?
Try switching your HDMI input on your TV. If you don’t have an HDTV, try changing the channel on the back of your HD digital adapter to match your TV channel.
Also check cables between your equipment, TV and cable outlet to ensure they are finger tight.
Why isn’t my guide loading?
Your guide may take up to 15 minutes to begin loading, and full future program information may take an hour to completely load.
If your guide doesn’t completely load within 24 hours, try resetting your digital adapter.
Why don’t I have any sound?
Check if your TV is muted. Press the mute button on your remote to unmute the audio.
Why aren’t my channels showing properly?
- Check your TV input or source.
Your TV can connect to multiple media devices through HDMI and other inputs. Press the input or source button on your remote repeatedly, or use the arrow buttons on the remote to select the proper input type.
If you don’t have an HDTV, check that the channel on the back of your HD digital adapter matches your TV channel.
- Check your physical connections.
Check the cables you have connecting your HD digital adapter to your TV and to the cable outlet. Tighten any cables if they are loose.
Leased equipment is the property of Midco, so you should return it to avoid unreturned equipment charges being placed on your account.
- If you received new equipment from Midco, remove the prepaid return label from the box with your new equipment. Otherwise, use our live chat or call 1.800.888.1300 to request a prepaid address label be sent to your email address.
- Pack your equipment.
- Please return all equipment, remotes and power cords.
- Detach all cables and power cords from the equipment, and wrap equipment in bubble wrap, protecting all sides.
- Wrap any remote controls in separate bubble wrap.
- Bundle power cords before packing them into the box.
- Seal the box with packaging tape, and place the address label on the box (covering any old address labels that might be present).
- Mail the package. You can drop it off at any UPS location, or request a pickup online at UPS.com.
Using Your Digital Adapter
If you have a digital adapter, you may have any of the models listed here. Please compare the cable box in your home to the photos and models here to find respective user guide.
Are you having issues with your HD digital adapter? The first thing to try is resetting your cable box, which essentially clears up some data and connections – just like any other electronic that needs to shut down from time to time. If that doesn’t work, check out our other helpful tips.
Your HD digital adapter includes a simple, on-screen guide so you can see what programs are on. Learn how to use the guide and change guide settings. Note: The on-screen guide is not available on standard digital adapters.
View TV Listings
You can view what’s on TV using your on-screen guide. Just press the Guide button on your remote. You’ll see TV listings for seven channels at a time – with 90 minutes of programming for each channel. You can arrow through the guide to see about 12 hours of future programs for each channel.
The guide shows colors for different types of content:
- Orange: what you currently have selected
- Blue: general programming
- Green: sports
- Magenta: kids programming
- Purple: movies
The picture in your guide allows you to continue to watch a program while you look at other TV listings.
If you want to hide certain types of channels from displaying in your on-screen guide, check out your options for parental controls.
View Program Details
You can check out more details about a specific program in your TV listings. Use your remote to select the Info button on the TV listing grid. The guide will display a program summary, rating, channel, time, production year and length.
Did you know your HD digital adapter comes with the option to block viewing of programs based on ratings and channels? With parental controls, you can also hide titles from showing on the on-screen guide. If you use TV Everywhere streaming of networks in your cable package, there are also some streaming parental controls available.
Note: Parental controls for viewing on your TV aren’t available for standard digital adapters.
1 Premium channels require an additional subscription. Packages and channels are subject to change and may vary by location.