Important: Parental controls are not set by default. This means all content is available for viewing until you apply controls based on your preferences.
Parental controls let you filter programs, so your children can only watch and record content you approve as suitable for them. With parental controls, you can:
- Set limits on movie and TV ratings.
- Block viewing of specific channels.
- Prevent viewing of recorded shows with ratings you’ve chosen to restrict.
- Establish a PIN that is required to unlock programming based on your filters.
- Use the same PIN to block purchases of programming content (such as a pay-per-view event or one-time movie rental).
Parental control settings vary based on the type of cable TV equipment you have in your home. If you have multiple equipment types, you may need to follow instructions for each. Parental controls are not available for standard digital adapters or CableCARDs. Parental controls cannot regulate content available through apps integrated with a TiVo® device.
- TVY: All Children – This program is designed to be appropriate for children.
- TVY7: Directed to Older Children – This program is designed for children age 7 and above.
- TVG: General Audience – Most parents would find this program appropriate for all ages. It contains little or no violence, no strong language and little or no sexual dialogue or situations.
- TVPG: Parental Guidance Suggested – This program contains material that parents may find unsuitable for younger children. Many parents may want to watch it with their younger children.
- TV14: Parents Strongly Cautioned – This program contains some material that parents would find unsuitable for children under 14 years of age.
- TVMA: Mature Audience Only – This program is specifically designed to be viewed by adults and therefore may be unsuitable for children under 17.
- G: General Audiences – All ages admitted.
- PG: Parental Guidance Suggested – Some material may not be suitable for children.
- PG-13: Parents Strongly Cautioned – Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13.
- R: Restricted – Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian.
- NC-17: No Children 17 and under admitted