What do these terms mean, and how do they impact your internet connection?
By now, you’re probably familiar with 5G networks, the fifth-generation technology standard for broadband cellular communications.
If you’ve heard of 10G, you might be a little confused: What’s the difference? How did we jump five generations of broadband connections? And most importantly, how does 10G affect your internet connection?
Well, fear not! Although 5G and 10G are quite different, they can both improve your internet experience, and Midco is here to guide you through both terms and deliver the best connection possible.
Let’s start with some definitions.
First of all, you should know that what mobile service providers refer to as 5G is different from what Midco calls 10G. For one thing, the G in 5G stands for generation, while the G in 10G refers to Gigabits per second (Gbps).
- 5G: the latest iteration of cellular infrastructure, engineered to increase speed and reduce latency for wireless networks
- 10G: a lightning-fast internet speed running at 10 Gbps
- 10G is the future of internet connection, and cable providers envision homes equipped with this remarkable speed very soon.
One way to think of the difference or relationship between these two terms is thinking of 10G speed as a goal for internet networks, including 5G cellular networks. Since 5G networks were built to be better, faster, and more reliable, the best 5G internet connection could have up to 10G speeds in the near future.
What’s currently happening with 5G and 10G? What comes next?
There’s a good chance you already use a 5G cellular connection in some capacity. 5G is popular around the world, and more and more people are joining this high-speed cellular network all the time.
Midco has developed a fiber network so mobile providers can meet our mutual customers’ bandwidth demands. Our current fiber network works alongside mobile providers’ 5G networks, so all of your devices can run smoothly with one another.
Like other internet providers, Midco is joining the race to 10G, aiming to deliver the fastest internet available directly to you.
Here’s the plan:
- Partnering with providers in the U.S. and internationally, Midco will deliver a 10G platform, ramping up today’s 1 gigabit offering to speeds of 10 Gbps and beyond.
- The 10G platform will provide fast symmetrical speeds, low latency, unmatched reliability, extra computing capabilities and rock-solid security for the broadest range of customers.
- Midco will invest $500 million in this infrastructure over the next 10 years.
In short, you probably already use 5G infrastructure, and 10G is the goal for network speed. And Midco is developing a fiber infrastructure today that can help you future-proof your internet connection for tomorrow’s innovations, including 10G speeds.
Find out more about fiber connectivity
Midco is expanding our fiber optic network.
We're always looking to bring speedier speeds to more and more customers. See when you can expect network upgrades at your home or business.